Saturday, September 4, 2010

Mission Statement

I'm the kind of guy who tends to agree with the critics when it comes to movies. If you just rolled your eyes, then this blog probably isn't for you. If, however, you also appreciate quality film making and realized long ago that the general population has horrible taste in movies, then I welcome you, friend.

The primary driving force behind starting this blog is to chronicle my quest see every movie ever nominated for a best picture Oscar. By my reckoning this is 474 films. The initial ceremony in 1929 is a little tricky as there were two best picture categories, one for "Best Picture, Production" and another for "Best Picture, Unique and Artistic Production." Just to be safe, I'm counting all six nominees between these two categories.

As of today I have seen 365 of these 474 (including all 82 winners) so I'm already just over 3/4 of the way there. However, all but five of the 109 remaining were released before 1950 so finding titles will get harder and harder as I go back. The five nominees I've yet to see in the post-1950 group are not available on DVD.

So let games, or rather movies, begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment